Mission Objective: “The Next Big Thing”
The trick is to seduce the maximum number of users… To this end, the Windows Phone platform offers you the option of making your application available across the entire world or to restrict it to specific countries.
But to guarantee lots of downloads and good adoption, the application needs to be inviting for a specific public, culture, geographic area and language; hence the practice of localization.
In this post we will cover
What is localizing an application?
- What is localizing an application
- How to prepare your application for an international market
- Globalizing a Windows Phone application
- Localizing a Windows Phone application
- How do you add a new language to your application
- How do you test your localized applicaiton
You have probably already guessed, localizing an application is adapting it to other languages, markets, cultures and regions.
There are actually two aspects to consider: Globalization
allows an application, when running, to consider cultural aspects for the user (date format, currency, etc…)
is about setting up the application to consider the language and regional parameters of the user. This consists of translating text, reading direction, suitable visuals, etc.
Now that we have a better understanding of the concepts, let’s take a look at a few advantages of localizing, to try and convert the skeptics.
What are the advantages of localization?
- The user experience is far better
- It allows you to reach a greater market (the whole world)
- You get more downloads
- The adoption rate of the application is much higher
Put simply, this will help your app become “the Next Big Thing”
. All these points have a positive impact on your application sales in different markets and generate more traffic and users for your application.
Convinced? Well then lets see how to prepare our application so it’s ready to conquer the world!