Windows - Phones - Visionen
Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - Druckversion

+- Windows - Phones - Visionen (https://www.wpvision.de)
+-- Forum: WPVision.de (https://www.wpvision.de/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Forum (https://www.wpvision.de/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Forum: Ich brauche Hilfe bei ... (https://www.wpvision.de/forumdisplay.php?fid=200)
+---- Thema: Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions (/showthread.php?tid=10864)

Seiten: 1 2 3 4

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - nautilus - 29.12.19

Hi all,

It's my first post here, and I hope I'm in the right place regarding my questions :-)
My apologies for writing in english, but my German really sucks, I hope it will be OK if I post in english rather than using Google translator.

In the next few days I'd like to upgrade my father's Lumia 1020 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 since some of the apps are no longer supported on 8.1 OS (e.g. Skype), so I'd appreciate if there are any suggestions and recommendations from the forum community here regarding the questions I'm about to ask.

I searched through xda-developers forums and some reddit posts, and there are quite a few guidelines how to do the upgrade, so it can be quite confusing to pick up the right one. Then I also stumbled upon the upgrade procedure by ToUrNiQuEt forum member (while reading about Project Astoria).
And in the end I'm not sure which procedure works the best nowadays, and I'm sure some that I found on the internet are already outdated.

I've read the step by step procedure on the following link (Step-by-step: Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary (build 14393) - Jingshan S. Du), the procedure which uses unlocking bootloader using WPInternals by flashing the phone with downloaded firmware, enabling root access and then modifying registry keys so that the phone pretends to be other Lumia model which is the eligible to receive Windows 10 upgrade.
I haven't tried anything yet (btw, I just checked on the phone, and it seems that Windows Store app is no longer working on 8.1 phones so downloading Upgrade Advisor app won't work anymore, I hope I'm not too late with that one :-(
I guess the ToUrNiQuEt's method will be the one to try out in case it's still supported.

Now, some of the questions from my side (I'd appreciate if anyone can answer) before I start looking further into it and trying out the upgrade procedure:

1. The Lumia 1020 phone OS Build is 8.10.14226.359, is this build supported 'as from version' for the upgrade to Windows 10?

2. Which Windows 10 build will the phone be upgraded to using ToUrNiQuEt's method (unfortunately I still don't have any forum access rights to read more about it on https://www.wpvision.de/tourniquet/)? Are there any selectable OS build options?
Asking cause of Project Astoria, I read here (https://www.windowscentral.com/android-apps-can-now-run-your-old-windows-phone-some-tinkering-and-caveats) that Astoria is only supported on two Windows 10 builds (10166 and 10536). So, my question is, which Windows 10 build am I getting using ToUrNiQuEt procedure?
As I would like there would be then an option to install Whatsapp afterwards, as the support for Whatsapp will end soon on Windows phones.

3. Will all the apps be functioning correctly after the upgrade as they used to, are there any known bugs / issues (e.g. WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth, battery drain issues, phone restarts?), and most importantly will the camera be working as smooth as before and able to take both 36 MP and 5 MP photos? I read somewhere that after the upgrade to Windows 10 only High resolution photos (36 MP) were possible to take with the camera.

That's it for now from my side, if I think of anything else, I'll make sure to post it here :-)

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions and answering any of the questions I might have.

P.S. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (in advance) to all forum members here :-)
P.P.S. I hope I understood the rules correctly, and that I'm posting this under the right Forum

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - skaarj80 - 29.12.19

Hello and heartly welcome to our Community [emoji16]
The phone Updater created by our Good member @tourniquet ist one of the last few options to get old Phones updated to Windows 10 mobile and tourniquet is still supporting the Tool.
The next step will be the unlock of your Account by our Admin, please use a little bit of patience for the case it‘ll take a while, we‘re all humans with jobs and families.
After the unlock has been done, please feel free to use the Link to the phone Updater in my signature.

Kind regards,
Skaarj

PS:
There are some known issues in Connection with the Snapdragon S4+ and the 42mp Camera with actual OS Versions, but i‘m not top deep in that topic and hopefully someone else could help me out with more details.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - CTHTC - 29.12.19

Hello nautilus
and also a warm welcome from me to WPVison.de Smile

As @ skaarj80 has already written, our colleague @tourniquet's updater tool is the most current and safest way to get a phone from WP8.1 to Windows10Mobile.

Various other methods still work, but are outdated.

I can only say about the article at Windows United that it was stolen and lied to. The tool mentioned there is the Phone Updater from @tourniquet, which is in a certain version that is intended to modify a Windows Phone so that Astoria runs on it.
Unfortunately, many forums no longer have the decency to name the source of software and sell ideas as their property.

BTT
If you just want to bring Windows10Mobile to your Lumia 1020, then just use the Updater Tool, which is available exclusively and currently from us.
The tool is self-explanatory.
You connect your phone and the menu in the tool guides you through the complete update to Windows 10 Mobile.

As already mentioned, the camera can only be used to a limited extent under Win10M. The full resolution is then no longer displayed or only in a certain format.

Best wishes
CTHTC

PS
Your account is of course activated, you now have access to all areas.

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - Tourniquet - 29.12.19

nautilus schrieb:Now, some of the questions from my side (I'd appreciate if anyone can answer) before I start looking further into it and trying out the upgrade procedure:

1. The Lumia 1020 phone OS Build is 8.10.14226.359, is this build supported 'as from version' for the upgrade to Windows 10?

2. Which Windows 10 build will the phone be upgraded to using ToUrNiQuEt's method (unfortunately I still don't have any forum access rights to read more about it on https://www.wpvision.de/tourniquet/)? Are there any selectable OS build options?
Asking cause of Project Astoria, I read here (https://www.windowscentral.com/android-apps-can-now-run-your-old-windows-phone-some-tinkering-and-caveats) that Astoria is only supported on two Windows 10 builds (10166 and 10536). So, my question is, which Windows 10 build am I getting using ToUrNiQuEt procedure?
As I would like there would be then an option to install Whatsapp afterwards, as the support for Whatsapp will end soon on Windows phones.

3. Will all the apps be functioning correctly after the upgrade as they used to, are there any known bugs / issues (e.g. WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth, battery drain issues, phone restarts?), and most importantly will the camera be working as smooth as before and able to take both 36 MP and 5 MP photos? I read somewhere that after the upgrade to Windows 10 only High resolution photos (36 MP) were possible to take with the camera.

That's it for now from my side, if I think of anything else, I'll make sure to post it here :-)

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions and answering any of the questions I might have.

P.S. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (in advance) to all forum members here :-)
P.P.S. I hope I understood the rules correctly, and that I'm posting this under the right Forum

Heya and welcome Smile

1) To be able to upgrade from Windows Phone 8.1 you need at least Build 8.10.14219 and the latest firmware update. In some cases and depending on the mobile the Lumia 1020 sometimes did not get the latest (Denim I think) firmware.

2) If you use the "normal" PhoneUpdater you can basically only select Windows 10 Mobile Version 1511 Build 10586.107 (13080.107). After you updated you can then select a couple of newer Builds from Version 1511 or Builds from Windows 10 Mobile 1607 (14393.xxx). As soon as you're on 14393.xxx PhoneUpdater will allow you to select 15063 aka Windows 10 Mobile Version 1703.

3)
With Windows 10 Mobile Version 1511 everything on your phone works as good as possible. That's because it was made for those older phones too.
Starting with Windows 10 Mobile Version 1607 glance screen would not work anymore but in terms of App-Support, Edge, its a much better Version and overall probably more polished.
With Windows 10 Mobile Version 1703+ you will have App rendering issues because Microsoft changed the rendering engine and the GPU driver is not compatible with all Apps. So if you for example want to use the Maps app you might not be able to see streets name or so, or the screen might even be just white.

That said: Version 1703 has still the best Support in terms of Apps. If you're after Apps that will still be the best version. Batterylife is usually not as good though.

There are also some Bluetooth problems I heard about with Version 1607 / 1703 but those are usually fixed after you've done a hardreset, which is very important anyway.

Regarding the Camera: All you need to make sure is: Keep using the Lumia Camera App not the Windows Kamera App. With the Windows Kamera App you can take photos but only the Lumia Camera App is optimized for the 1020s Camera. As long as you keep using that app. You will have the same great camera expierence you always had. It might be a bit slower because the OS is more heavy but all in all it still works fine.

My recommendation would be: Update to 10586.107 (13080.107) after that update to 10586.1176 (14003.1176) do a hard reset and see how it works. If you're happy with the Apps and Edge (sadly not even Twitter PWA is supported on that old version of Edge), I would probably stay on that Version. If you really need more apps then try out 14393 and only after you're missing some apps I would upgrade to 15063.

Regarding Whatsapp, I have honestly no idea. I would think you might be able to get it via your library in the Store but I'm not sure about that.

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - Tourniquet - 29.12.19

Regarding Astoria:
Yes we have an Updater for Astoria Builds too, but its very very limited to only a handful of phones. Also those Builds are really buggy and it takes a lot of effort to make them work properly. It's a nice thing to play with them but I would never recommend anyone to use any of those old builds.

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - nautilus - 29.12.19

Thank you both (skaarj80 and CTHTC) for super quick response and for activating my account :-)
EDIT: OMG, ToUrNiQuEt also already posted an answer, I'm just reading it. Thank you so much the three of you, you guys are crazy :-) You are answering my questions too quick, I cannot type that fast haha :-)

I'm sad to hear if they didn't correctly mention the source and the efforts of your community members in the article at Windows United, I only read the article about Project Astoria on the windowscentral page and I see they named developers there ('As reported by Windows United, two developers, Fadil Fadz and one who goes by Tourniquet, have released a tool for getting Microsoft's abandoned Project Astoria to run on Windows Phones.').

Thank you for the quick guidelines regarding ToUrNiQuEt's method, I will start getting info from that forum for more details :-)

Uh, I really hope the camera won't have much issues, that's actually the most important feature on that phone for my father. And he also wants to have Whatsapp installed after the support for it will come to an end on Windows platform.

OK, I will let you know if I'll have more questions.

And please if anyone else can share their experience regarding camera on Lumia 1020 after getting upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. On some of the xda-developers forum pages I read that all went fine with camera functioning back to normal after the upgrade and a reset (don't remember was it a hard of factory reset).

Btw, is there a way to get the phone back to the current Windows 8.1 in case the upgrade to Windows 10 won't be satisfactory concerning the camera or others apps behavior?
Is there a way to make a complete backup of the current phone state (or some sort of an OS image with all the installed apps) in case anything goes wrong?

Thank you once again!

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - skaarj80 - 29.12.19

The Windows Device Recovery Tool should bring you back to WP8(.1), the Tool should be available and work in Future (of course Nobody Knows for how long that‘ll be).
In case they shut down their WP Updateserver, you‘ll be able to Flash WP8.1 manually with a ROM you can find at http://www.lumiafirmware.com [emoji6]

Tourniquet schrieb:Heya and welcome Smile

1) To be able to upgrade from Windows Phone 8.1 you need at least Build 8.10.14219 and the latest firmware update. In some cases and depending on the mobile the Lumia 1020 sometimes did not get the latest (Denim I think) firmware.

2) If you use the "normal" PhoneUpdater you can basically only select Windows 10 Mobile Version 1511 Build 10586.107 (13080.107). After you updated you can then select a couple of newer Builds from Version 1511 or Builds from Windows 10 Mobile 1607 (14393.xxx). As soon as you're on 14393.xxx PhoneUpdater will allow you to select 15063 aka Windows 10 Mobile Version 1703.

3)
With Windows 10 Mobile Version 1511 everything on your phone works as good as possible. That's because it was made for those older phones too.
Starting with Windows 10 Mobile Version 1607 glance screen would not work anymore but in terms of App-Support, Edge, its a much better Version and overall probably more polished.
With Windows 10 Mobile Version 1703+ you will have App rendering issues because Microsoft changed the rendering engine and the GPU driver is not compatible with all Apps. So if you for example want to use the Maps app you might not be able to see streets name or so, or the screen might even be just white.

That said: Version 1703 has still the best Support in terms of Apps. If you're after Apps that will still be the best version. Batterylife is usually not as good though.

There are also some Bluetooth problems I heard about with Version 1607 / 1703 but those are usually fixed after you've done a hardreset, which is very important anyway.

Regarding the Camera: All you need to make sure is: Keep using the Lumia Camera App not the Windows Kamera App. With the Windows Kamera App you can take photos but only the Lumia Camera App is optimized for the 1020s Camera. As long as you keep using that app. You will have the same great camera expierence you always had. It might be a bit slower because the OS is more heavy but all in all it still works fine.

My recommendation would be: Update to 10586.107 (13080.107) after that update to 10586.1176 (14003.1176) do a hard reset and see how it works. If you're happy with the Apps and Edge (sadly not even Twitter PWA is supported on that old version of Edge), I would probably stay on that Version. If you really need more apps then try out 14393 and only after you're missing some apps I would upgrade to 15063.

Regarding Whatsapp, I have honestly no idea. I would think you might be able to get it via your library in the Store but I'm not sure about that.

Thank you so much ToUrNiQuEt for the extremely detailed response! Thanks, my brain will first need some time to digest all of that info before I make any further steps :-) Since it's my father's phone, I don't want to screw anything up, and end up with a brick LOL.

Regarding Whatsapp I guess the only way to have it working after 1st Jan 2020 is via Astoria cause it seems it will stop working on Windows Mobile after 31st December (https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/wp/21485198). I hope there's a way via Astoria to get it installed and working.

skaarj80 schrieb:The Windows Device Recovery Tool should bring you back to WP8(.1), the Tool should be available and work in Future (of course Nobody Knows for how long that‘ll be).
In case they shut down their WP Updateserver, you‘ll be able to Flash WP8.1 manually with a ROM you can find at www.lumiafirmware.com [emoji6]

Thank you skaarj80! Good to know there's a way back in case anything goes wrong. But I will first try to find if there's a way to make a complete backup / image of the current phone state if possible (because Windows Store no longer works on Win 8.1 and it's not possible to download any apps, so in case I flash it back to WP8.1 how am I going to get all the apps back on the phone? :-))

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - CTHTC - 29.12.19

The apps that you have already installed under WP8.1 can be found in the Store app in the history and can be installed from there, provided that they were still in the store until the end.

CTHTC schrieb:The apps that you have already installed under WP8.1 can be found in the Store app in the history and can be installed from there, provided that they were still in the store until the end.

I'm afraid it won't be possible to install anything anymore from the Store in case of rolling back to WP8.1 :-( I have just checked again on the phone, and Windows Store is no longer working on WP8.1. As per this article (https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-81-store-shuts-down-december) it has been shut down two weeks ago :-(
That's why I first need to make an image of the current state before proceeding with the upgrade.

Excuse me.
Of course, that's completely correct, the store is completely closed.
Which apps do you need?

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - nautilus - 30.12.19

CTHTC schrieb:Excuse me.
Of course, that's completely correct, the store is completely closed.
Which apps do you need?

Uh, there are dozens of them that were installed from the Windows Store.
And it seems the only way to make a full phone backup would be using WPInternals for which I would first need to unlock bootloader and that means flashing firmware first :-) And with flashing firmware all the apps will get overwritten, right? Oh man, this sounds like a vicious circle with no way out :-)

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - skaarj80 - 30.12.19

Well, seems you‘re complete right, a real pain in the ass [emoji17]
But, to be honest, W10m is worth it, yes it‘s a bit slower in use and yes some things are missing, but all in all it‘s also a good evolution of WP8.1 and no Revolution.
The decission to stay on WP8.1 means to freeze time, yes, you have all your installed Apps, but that‘s the only pro, cons are the closed Store, Mean no App Updates or you wouldn‘t be able to install Otter Apps

I am using W10m on a Lumia 950, 640 and a Samsung Ativ S (nearly the specs as the 1020, but only 1GB RAM and the camera) and i don‘t miss WP8(.1).

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - CTHTC - 30.12.19

I just looked in the Microsoft store and there are still some WP8.1 apps to be found. What appears there can also be downloaded via a small detour (as an XAP file) and installed on the phone.
I hope I don't have a mistake now.

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - nautilus - 30.12.19

skaarj80 schrieb:Well, seems you‘re complete right, a real pain in the ass [emoji17]
But, to be honest, W10m is worth it, yes it‘s a bit slower in use and yes some things are missing, but all in all it‘s also a good evolution of WP8.1 and no Revolution.
The decission to stay on WP8.1 means to freeze time, yes, you have all your installed Apps, but that‘s the only pro, cons are the closed Store, Mean no App Updates or you wouldn‘t be able to install Otter Apps

I am using W10m on a Lumia 950, 640 and a Samsung Ativ S (nearly the specs as the 1020, but only 1GB RAM and the camera) and i don‘t miss WP8(.1).

Thanks, you have convinced me then to try to go with Windows 10, hopefully the upgrade will work and all (or most of) the apps will work fine.
I'll try the upgrade procedure soon (I guess within the next two days), will let you guys know about the progress (and hopefully I won't have to ask too much for support :-))

CTHTC schrieb:I just looked in the Microsoft store and there are still some WP8.1 apps to be found. What appears there can also be downloaded via a small detour (as an XAP file) and installed on the phone.
I hope I don't have a mistake now.

Thank you, that sounds nice.
Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I'm not too much familiar with Windows platform on mobile phones, it's my father's phone (I use the phone with Android OS). Is there an easy way to install XAP files manually on the phone with no SD card (Lumia 1020).
Btw, and one important question (I forgot to ask earlier), will there be an option to also install a different language pack after the upgrade to Windows 10, and not only english?

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - Tourniquet - 30.12.19

Regarding Language Packs: It's dependend on the FFU you have flashed on your phone. After you have the "final" Windows 10 Mobile Version you like (except the Astoria Builds, they only have limitied languages to choose from) and reset the phone you can select from a long list of preinstalled languages. If they don't include the language that you desire, I think you can also download the language pack from settings, with that I'm not too sure though.

What the language you're looking for?

If you have unencrypted Xap Files and enable developer settings in setting you can sideload Xap Files via a PC app. It's way easier to sideload Appx files because thats natively supported.

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - CTHTC - 30.12.19

Englisch

Don't worry, we don't have any stupid questions. Wink
You can download XAP files from the following page:
https://store.rg-adguard.net/

You then copy it to the phone, activate the developer option in the phone and then you can install it.
The language can be set during the setup process and usually later in the system options. I think that you are active in English but want to have Romanian?

Upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 & Project Astoria questions - Tourniquet - 30.12.19

CTHTC schrieb:Englisch

Don't worry, we don't have any stupid questions. Wink
You can download XAP files from the following page:
https://store.rg-adguard.net/

You then copy it to the phone, activate the developer option in the phone and then you can install it.
The language can be set during the setup process and usually later in the system options. I think that you are active in English but want to have Romanian?

No that won't work.

Xap files from the store are encrypted and there is no way they can be deployed. You can only deployed unencrypted Xap files, which can be found in ROMs, or elsewhere.